Turkey poults constantly crying

Chelsea1455

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 17, 2012
Yuba City, CA
My turkey poult (1 week old) has imprinted on me and is constantly peeping when I'm not in sight. It just paces the walls of the brooder all day and night crying to be held. Is there anything I can do to get it to stop? I've tried stuffed animals, making it warmer and cooler and some other things but I guess nothing is as good as making a nest in my hair. Will this little guy do any damage to itself by running around all night crying? It seems like it never sleeps unless its in my hands.

Last edited:
So far nothing other than holding him is quieting him (and the cat right next to him). My son told me he didn't want me holding him because he doesn't want the poult to like me more! But I am worried he is tiring himself out! The 2 times i have held him he calms down and instantly starts to fall asleep but then he has cried so much he takes a stuttered breath and wakes himself up to cry for a second... He looks to be burning too much energy.
The more you respond to the poult's cries, the worse it will get. It really isn't a good idea to try to raise a single poult by itself.

Just because your son can only sell one animal, doesn’t mean you can’t raise a couple more with it and sell those yourself on Craigslist. Just an idea, if it helps. If you raise 2 or 3 to go with the first one, whoever buys the 2 or 3 won’t have to worry about theirs not having friends when they buy them.

I don’t think you should have any trouble selling turkeys on CL. You can also try (cryptically) on a Facebook poultry group. But not on Marketplace.

Ack! My son got a poult on Saturday and yesterday he started crying whenever my son left his side. now he is in school and the poult is driving me crazy with his whining! Our cat, being curious nestled next to the crate and he quieted down, trying to get to her but as soon as she moved away, he started up again. I tell him i am here and he stops for a brief second... Should I just ignore him? I am nervous he was traumatized yesterday morning when he was choking on a piece of food that looks to have been to big for him. After about 10 minutes of giving him water, the food dissolved but since then he just CRIES when he can't see you!
This is normal for a human imprinted poult. You can try turning a radio on for it.

My son has been wanting to raise a turkey from poult for the last 2 years. It is through school to sell at the county fair next year. My son has raised 2 the past 2 years but they have been 6 wks at the youngest because no one has newborn turkeys in September. He saw Shepplers had bronze poults and was insistent. We cannot have turkeys were we are and he can only sell one animal. Hoping this little guy will get along with the chickens until he can go on the school farm but i had no idea how needy he would be. Of course my son has spent every waking moment with him and now that he is in school the poult is NUTS. Right now I have him wrapped in a towel and he nestled in the crook of my neck and is finally sleeping but if he thinks I am moving to leave him he wakes up and starts the loud chirp cry.. I just feel so bad because he is alone but maybe I am making it worse!
You are making it worse.

This is normal for a human imprinted poult. You can try turning a radio on for it.
So far nothing other than holding him is quieting him (and the cat right next to him). My son told me he didn't want me holding him because he doesn't want the poult to like me more! But I am worried he is tiring himself out! The 2 times i have held him he calms down and instantly starts to fall asleep but then he has cried so much he takes a stuttered breath and wakes himself up to cry for a second... He looks to be burning too much energy.

Back
Top Bottom