Turkey poults dying off

Flynch

Chirping
Apr 19, 2021
I need some emergency advice this is my first time raising turkey poults. I had 26 turkey poults, I picked them up 3 days ago, they were 5 days old, white commercial strain. One I found in the waterer cold and near dead, I tried to dry him and warm him up but he sadly passed. I put it down as a freak accident. None died yesterday. But this morning I found 6 dead and over 3 dead after work and one looking latheric.

I've checked the temperatures with a lazer thermometer and their fine. I've seen most of them drinking but I can't be sure all were as I don't watch them 24/7 and I can't tell them apart l. I've seen several eating. I have chicks with them as I read that the chicks would help them find food or water.

They've a massive space. Good temperature range and on turkey starter. They got sand size grit as I read them need it. I don't know what's wrong, most of them seem very alert and active but a few seem latheric, I've tried giving them sugar water and showing them where the water is repeatedly.

I'm at a loss and don't know what's wrong. I feel so guilty. Anyone have any suggestions, I don't want to lose anymore.

What state are you in? There is obviously a disease or pathogen killing them and you need to get a fresh carcass to your state poultry lab for a necropsy and lab work.

Also, you can now remove the chicks since they have already done their tutoring and they shouldn't be getting the turkey starter which I assume is about 28-30% protein - too high for chicks.

What state are you in? There is obviously a disease or pathogen killing them and you need to get a fresh carcass to your state poultry lab for a necropsy and lab work.

Also, you can now remove the chicks since they have already done their tutoring and they shouldn't be getting the turkey starter which I assume is about 28-30% protein - too high for chicks.
I'm in the UK. I can take the chick out.
Is there any particular diseases that kills turkey poults this quickly? Their dying within a few hours of becoming latheric

Back
Top Bottom