Turkey Poults to be moved outside with no Mama Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kuntrygirl, Apr 1, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have had 3 turkey poults inside my house (hen hatched them in an unsafe place, so I took them from her) for the last 2 weeks and I'm ready for them to go outside. I plan on moving them outside to a brooder TONIGHT and will probably have them under a heat lamp. Low temps for tonight will be 59 degrees. Low temps for Saturday night will be 67 and low temps for Sunday night will be 72 degrees. At what nightly temp will they be ok without the heat lamp. I have never had to use a heat lamp with my poults. The turkey hen has always cared for them after hatching. This hatching is an unusual situation. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. vtgirls

vtgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    I hatched the few I have from eggs from a friend - so no Mama to keep them warm - I found them to need a little more heat for a little longer than the chickens. They are much more "tender" than the chickens in the first six weeks... They hatched in August so though still warmish, it got cold at night - 30s - 40's in VT. I kept a lamp on them the first week at about 95, then down about 5-10 degrees each week. They huddled up tight even during sunny 65 degree days until about 6, 7 weeks. Hope this helps...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Yes, this helps me. It lets me know that I should keep them inside until the weather get warmer. You're right, they are "tender" and I don't want to jeopardize their life just because I'm ready for them to go into the big yard. They are jumping and "flying" out of their TALL box/brooder. They are all over the room when I get back from work and they are only 2 weeks old and less. [​IMG]

Thank you very much for you input.

4. vtgirls

vtgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    Do you have a garage or outbuilding? I put them out into the garage right about when that started being not house friendly anymore - in a small hoop house - its 3x6. I hooked the heat lamp to the welded wire top. I put a sheet of plastic under the whole thing for clean up later and shavings/hay inside. It worked well when I put them outside on grass on the warmer days too. Also, it is getting warmer where you are as opposed to having been getting colder towards fall with mine.
    I hope to have mine hatch their own this year - we'll see. Got our first turkey egg this week!!! We just moved one of our two toms to a seperate space (too much fighting) so I am really hoping the hens like the nicer tom we left with them!

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I could put them in the garage but that is where the stray cats sleep and I already have 3 broody hens in there. I have to get a box that is about 4 feet tall so that they cannot jump out of.[​IMG]

6. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Do you know how to clip wings? I clip mine by one week old. I also cover the brooding box with hard wire so they can't get out or anything can't get in. Mine are under heat for 8 weeks. They do not touch dirt for 12 to 16 weeks when there immune stysten is good enough to not get sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by