Turkey poults wanted

Discussion in 'Other Poultry - Birds & Hatching Eggs' started by WFA, Apr 18, 2012.

1. WFA

WFA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I would love to find some feathered turkey poults in central, tx but open to other areas. I am looking for large bird breeds. This is my first round at turkeys so I am not sure on biggest breeds etc... I hope y'all can help me out.

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The largest turkeys are anything that start with "broad breasted". They are large enough to not be able to breed naturally.

I would suggest ordering poults from Plum Run Poultry or Porter Turkeys. They have high quality birds.

Keep in mind that unless you find someone local you can drive to, it is unlikely people will sell and ship feathered poults to you. Freshly hatched poults can go 48 hours without food or water because they are still absorbing their yolks. Feathered out older birds are MUCH more likely to die in shipping, because they need food and water.

Hope that helps!

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I highly recommend Porters.. it's where most of my adults came from

I would offer to hatch some out for you.. but my eggs are heritage mutts (mixed from Porters "purebreds" lol).. so I couldn't guarantee colors like Porters can

4. WFA

WFA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Do I still have enough time to have them raised by thanksgiving? I am putting up a new are for the ducks and turkeys but still am not done. I have finished the chicken area and the ducks and chickens are together but i am not going to risk it with the turkeys.

5. yinepu

if you got poults now they would be big enough... especially if you managed to get some broad breasted whites or broad breasted bronze. the heritage birds would be smaller with a smaller breast... I just got done hatching out a few of the heritage and have a few more in the bator.. and we'll be butchering them this fall.

I know Cove Feed in Copperas Cove (254-547-5224) has some larger "babies" for sale.. i haven't stopped in.. but I did call them yesterday.. they have older birds (not sure of the age but I'm guessing they are a few weeks old) plus some new poults that were hatched out this week.. the girl on the phone didn't know if they were White Hollands or Broad Breasted Whites.. and for the bronze she didn't know if they were heritage Bronze or Broad Breasted.. she did say that they came in as a mix.. so there could be some of all 4... just no way of telling for sure without going there and making your best guess.

I know last year they were getting theirs from Ideal hatchery

6. WFA

WFA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That is great information thank you. I was told if I get them fully feathered it is easier to keep them alive. Do you believe this to be true?

7. yinepu

the main thing with turkey poults:

1) is to give them a good feed (lots of vitamins for those legs..) some people give game bird starter.. some mix game bird starter with chick starter and some just give chick starter.. i give a mix or chick starter along with vitamins in their water just to make sure they have all the vitamins they need

2) they need to stay warm and dry... brood them like you would any other chick but keep in mind that a wet chilled poult is a dead poult. .. ever hear that turkeys would drown if they were left out in the rain?.. lots of people claim that their poults looked up at the rain drops and drowned.. when in fact the poor little things just got wet and chilled...

so to me it doesn't make a difference if mine are feathered or not.. so long as I keep them warm and dry (especially as babies) they do fine.. older birds can handle getting outside in cooler temps.. however I wouldn't let any young turkey get wet and then chilled.

8. Daisy9696

Daisy9696 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Minnesota
    I am wanting to order some turkeys but only need 2-4 and most minimums are 10 anyone want to split an order?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by