turkey poults weak and peeping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mrs. Mucket, May 30, 2010.

1. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Yesterday we brought home our first turkey poults (about four days old) and noticed that they were slower to take to food and water than any of our chicks had been. We lost one poult last night (was pasted up when he got home, cleaned nicely but continued to be weak). Now, the second day, another one (not pasted) seems weak and wobbly and doesn't want to eat or drink. It will stand and walk some but mostly just sits and peeps. I put it alone with its own heat lamp, as I had the other one yesterday. The remaining poults are up today, walking around, eating, drinking.

Any thoughts? Are turkey poults a little slower to get going than chicks? Should I just give this one a little more time? I feel sad over the one lost last night (though I know it's common) and hope this one recovers. Thanks.

2. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Put one of your chicks with it, the chick will teach it to eat and drink, turkeys are slow to start and A LOT more fragile. It needs the companionship so use a chick until you get another turkey poult. You could get some electrolytes or vitamins also. You need to also keep turkeys on higher protein feed than chicks for proper development. I noticed with our turkey poults we had to dip their beaks in the water before they started or realized it was to drink. Hopefully it will make it, good luck.

3. Mrs. Mucket

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Thank you Frogdog! Our chicks are probably too big so I put in one of the turkey poults that was doing well. Within five minutes the quiet one was over at the waterer drinking on its own. Earlier I had to hold a saucer up to it and dip its beak. Will look into getting some electrolytes/vites when feed store opens tomorrow. It still doesnt' seem strong on its legs but at least it moving around some.

4. Frogdogtimestwo

May 21, 2008
    Out of our recently hatched turkeys one was very slow to get going, took forever to get balance and get the basics down, but it survived and it doing well. Hope it works out for you!

5. Mrs. Mucket

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Lost this second poult too [​IMG] Last night I was wondering if it was blind. Its eyes were usually closed and it kept shouldering up to the companion chick and wanting to be under its wing or neck. It did drink some water with my help and later on its own but I didn't see it eat anything when I tried to feed it or by itself. But blindness alone would not have caused its death. I still have three healthy-looking poults of the five I got on Saturday and will not lose heart! We have had no losses with 42 other chicks in two batches so I guess we're lucky there.

6. Frogdogtimestwo

May 21, 2008
    [​IMG] They are such sweet birds but they are hard to get started. I still have not let my 2 month olds touch dirt yet, they are happily growing away in a brooder in my house. Hopefully you will not have anymore losses. I recently had a chick who never opened it's eyes, it did not make it either, I think nature takes care of a lot and I try to remember that but it's still hard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by