turkey poults

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickabator, Jan 8, 2009.

1. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    can anyone tell me if I have 2 jakes or what? they are 7 weeks old now I believe they are from the eggs I bought from sandspoultry they are beltsville small white
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. Comet Mum

Comet Mum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Oxford, NC
    I can't answer your question as I'm getting my first poults in a few weeks. But I have a question; what breed are these?
    Thanks!

3. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    beltsville small whites I bought the eggs from sandspoultry

4. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    They are TOO CUTE!!! Turkeys are great I love my guy. I think you have a tom for sure! The one on the right I think is a boy. Good luck with them. They are so incredably sweet and smart. [​IMG]

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    It's hard to tell by the pics. Check the legs, the toms should have thicker legs than the hen. The one on the right does kind of look like a tom, it has less fuzz on the back of the neck and the head. Have you seem them strut yet? The tom's will strut at a young age. The hens can to but they can't hold it as long. You can vent sex them pretty easy once you know what you are looking for. At any rate you can check and see if they are different. Here is a link to Cornell library and a copy of the book Turkey Management by DR Stanley Marsden about sexing poults. You can find hard copies of the book still around if you want one at Barnes n Noble and Amazon. It was written many years ago when they raised turkeys on pasture much like small breeders do today instead of a"turkey house" It will pretty much tell you everything you need to know about turkeys and how to raise them. One thing when sexing the poults is be very very very careful and gentle, you can injure them pretty easy. [​IMG]

http://chla.library.cornell.edu/cgi...ode=3317008:6&frm=frameset&view=image&seq=636

"Everybody loves a turkey"

Steve in NC

6. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Very cute pics!!

I love our turkeys. They follow us around everywhere!

7. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    thats the thing they both were strutting at less than 1 1\\2 old but the bigger one does it alot longer than the smaller one. it seems like it can hold it forever the little one doesnt hold it that long but they will strut at each other and were chest butting

8. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Hopefully you have a pair [​IMG]

9. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    hey steve if I have a pair when should they start to lay . I know it is not right now but we were just wondering

10. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:The Belts about 7 to 8 months ish. They are the best laying turkeys we have. Ours usually start between Thanksgiving and Christmas and lay until June or July. We had a few that layed all summer and finally quit when they molted in the fall.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by