turkey problems

redneck4life27

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Northern ny
I have a 8 moth old bbb tom turkey and lately hes been really aggressive. A couple weeks ago he kille one of my layer hens and 3 days ago he badly injured my dominant pekin drake. They were all raised together since they were chicks. So we put him in his own coop he is the only turkey we have was supposed to butcher him but just been so busy. Just today we went out to feed him and he seems like hes getting aggressive toward us now by fluffing up at us. I know its getting close to mating season. i think i gotta butcher him cause i dont need him injuring or culling all my other animals. Anyone think hell change or any advice. I think hes over 50 lbs and hes still going strong no leg problems or heart issues that i can see.

its getting to be that time of the year and the Toms are in full strut and the Hormones are running wild.
I have plenty of Hens to keep my Toms busy with so its not been a problem with the Chickens and no signs of aggression towards me or my family I have Red Bourbons don't know if that makes a difference or not.

yea he is a broad breasted bronze i know he was suppose to be butchered months ago i just kept putting it off. At first I had 4 but lost one as a poult then I lost my only hen dont know how just went out to the pen and she was dead. Then i butchered my other bbw tom for thanksgiving now im left with this one. Gonna skin him out and breast him out and put the rest of him into the pressure canner for canned turkey.

Well processed the turkey today i skinned him out he weight 52lbs he was a brusier. Resting overnight breasting in the morning and canning the rest. The only two turkey that survived my first time raising them were 38lbs and 52lbs. im very pleased

That is impressive - lots 'meat! I am getting turkeys for the first time this spring and I'm pretty nervous. Hoping to get a couple up to Thanksgiving turkey size and let a couple get jumbo. Love he canning idea! I do that all the time with old chickens - not sure why it didn't occur to me to do it with turkeys!!

When they get that big what does the meat taste like? Dry?
Do you have to grind it or stew it?

We had no problems with the whole turkey that we did for thanksgiving. It was very moist and tender. We did it in the oven and kept basting it so it turned out really great. Havent tried the 52lber yet. Im going to try deepfrying a whole breast that im going to inject and bread it. The canned turkey is really good for hot turkey sandwiches and soups. I can it with the broth and it stays really moist the thing ive found out is the dark meat like in the legs is stringy but still good. I like having the canned turkey its a quick and easy meal.

Back
Top Bottom