Turkey Question

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by LadyTurkey, Jun 5, 2011.

1. LadyTurkey

LadyTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    Hey Everyone!
    So happy I found this site!
    I have 3 bronze turkeys that we bought in the beginning of may, Last week we moved them out to their own
    coop/enclosure outside. How long till I can let them outside a little bit supervised by me of course. I just worry that they might
    fly off or something will try and eat them lol. We dont have any dogs or cats so we dont have to worry about that, I guess i worry about hawks or something that might fly over. Just curious what you do with your poults.

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    We have occassionally serious predation issues, so my turkeys move to a fenced range after six weeks. Its 6 foot chicken wire, with a 2 ft buried wire apron, surrounded by two strands of electric wire. Nothing has got any turkeys yet, but there have been two attacks that left evidence of broken and/or stretched chicken wire and electric wires. We have lost chickens to bobcats and foxes ( I have a very nice bobcat mount [​IMG] ). Turkeys are too valuable to leave out unprotected IMO. Also, they tend to wander.

I do not have any protection from owls, and my biggest risk is probably a great horned owl on turkeys less than 12 weeks old. I guess I'm living with that risk until something happens [​IMG]

3. LadyTurkey

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    Yeah, we have a grass enclosure around their coop for them to walk around in, I just dont know if they
    are still to small to be allowed out yet. They are fully feathered almost ...other then their cute little fuzzy heads still. I dont know if
    we have any owls around here. If we do i haven't seen them yet.

4. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Should be good to go at 6 weeks.

5. LadyTurkey

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    Ok thanks [​IMG] Cuz they are dieing to get out and walk around !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by