Turkey question.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LittleChickenLady, Oct 5, 2011.

1. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Do they by any chance have turkeys that you can buy to cook that are about the size of a rotisserie chicken?

[​IMG]

2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I think midget white is the smallest turkey breed and they weigh in around 10 pounds. I'm thinking it might be too big for a rotisserie.

3. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I think if you have really good rotisery, and a small turkey would be fine.. Our rotisery wouldn't take that kind've weight, but the one I want does... Sounds hevenly though, look around? Maybe call grocery store in the am, and ask them to set aside their smallest?

4. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Well I don't really want it for a rotisserie, I just want a turkey about that size.
    I was thinking about (trying to) make one for Thanksgiving, but the ones I always see are just too big and I think a lot of it would go to waste.

[​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You could purchase a turkey breast that is about that size. Boneless usually.

6. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

I cooked a bourbon red turkey in my rotisserie...yeah, it wasn't huge, but it definitely fit in there....please ignore the fact that I clean myself up and change for dinner AFTER I'm done preparing dinner.

[​IMG]

7. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    [​IMG] That looks yummy. Do you need a few more for Thanksgiving dinner?

8. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    My midget white hens dress out comparable to a large chicken and are yummy.

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    A Midget White hen would butcher out in the six to eight pound range.

10. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It WAS yummy -- best turkey I ever had. I found a farm that sold pastured bourbon reds (at www.localharvest.org) and ordered one for Thanksgiving. The cooking time was about 2/3 what it would have been, pound for pound, if I roasted it in the oven -- which had a ham baking in there and no room for anything else. The turkey was rubbed all over with butter and seasoning, and ended up with a beautiful carmelized color and flavor. My guests said at first that it "looked funny" (they were used to the broad-breasted birds), but that once they got some in their mouths, they couldn't believe the difference. I'll never buy a conventional turkey for Thanksgiving again.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by