Turkey Question -

CocoNUT

Songster
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Ok...so I have a young pair of turkeys. The tom (Borris) likes to 'strut' for us...and his girlfriend (Natasha) LOVES out attention. Lately, when I go into the run to give them their daily treats...Natasha will get in front for her attention...then will just sit at my feet! Normally, once she's down...Borris will start strutting around. Is Natasha being submissive to me? She eats and drinks just fine. After I leave...she'll do her little calls to me...and will run around eating and drinking...so I know she's not sick. Any thoughts?

My turkeys all have Russian names too!! Boris, Ivan, Sasha, Nickoli, Marta, Nadia and Natasha. And like you, my Natasha has laid down for me too. She's saying she would like to mate and since she sees you as the dominate "bird", she's laying down for you to let you mate.

When she does this just stroke her back a few times until Boris gets close (like right up next to you) and then back away slowly. Boris will take over where you left off and you'll get to see turkey sex!
ya.gif
clap.gif
celebrate.gif

OH COOL! I Thought that she was 'submitting' to me! (My hens would do that too!) I knew Turkeys were more "choosey" about mating...but that's so sweet! I didn't realize she was old enough for that kind of thing yet! No wonder Borris starts his strutting!!! I have been 'stroking' her back...but I haven't let Borris take over. Will have to try that when I get home later! Hmmm...at what age do they start laying eggs?

Oh...and the Russian theme just kinda happened. I originally had them named as Sasha and Natasha...but my hubby reminded me of the Rocky and Bullwinkle show's Natasha and Borris! I love them...they call and gobble and coo at us!

Last edited:
You should start seeing eggs very soon. Look around because she may be hiding them! And it may take a few tries for them to get the mating right so don't be discouraged if it takes a while for the tom to hit the mark.
roll.png

Ok...I don't think I'll be getting to watch any turkey sex in the near future! Borris is more interested in the food than he is in Natasha! I've tried SEVERAL times...even my husband...but Borris is just too easily distracted! By the time he notices her....she's already getting back up to run around!

Maybe when they age up a bit!

Back
Top Bottom