Turkey Questions, is she OK?

SgtBakYardFarmr

Hatching
7 Years
May 14, 2012
Central Arkansas
I have a Turkey question? I had a hen and gobbler given to me on Christmas, my step-father thought it was a great joke! We have chickens and other animals but never made any attempt at hatching. The hen made her a nest in the barn right away and was laying almost every day. At first I was collecting the eggs, but got a little behind and now she has been on the nest about 6 days "Broody?". Possibly she may get up in the middle of the day but I have not seen her up yet. Is this normal? I have been taking her water and feed, I'm getting a little concerned. Should I make her get up? She is alert, just don't want an any animal, prank gift or not, sick or dead because of my neglect.
ReplyQuote Multi
ReplyQuote Multi

Last edited:
Don't worry, she's doing what nature tells her to do, and it is completely normal, just give her a place away from the tom, when they start hatching, because male amnimals will sometimes kill young animals when he is trying to mate with her again!

Hens will not starve, but they wait until most of the other birds are sleeping or otherwise busy, so nothing happens to her eggs. She will lay for a couple weeks until she has enough eggs to start incubating then it starts the 28 days or so to hatch. No animal can go that long without water, you just don't see them eat or drink, because they don't want anyone to see and take her eggs, she thinks she is hiding them from you! LOL
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom