Turkey questions

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by beakmaster, Jul 24, 2013.

1. beakmaster

beakmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    I have only raised quail in the past and thinking of trying my luck at other fowl. We have a big backyard and have neighbors close by. Is there a bird that will hang around in my fenced yard. We are not interested in building any big pens. Interested in turkey or maybe chickens or pheasant. Also don't want the yard destroyed. I would like to have turkey but it might not be possible at this location.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Tough constraints to work with. Maybe expand quail `cage' area with a couple of larger enclosures and try some Golden Pheasant. Chickens/turkeys? Yard/infrastructure/neighbor issues.

3. beakmaster

beakmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    Can golden pheasant birds be eaten? If so how do they compare to quail or chicken?

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Don't know. Was considering `yard art' given the parameters above. I'd guess it would taste like expensive pheasant.

Chickens, in large modified rabbit hutch (up on 4x4's with a wire floor), might be doable without destroying lawn (and if primary goal is meat).

Turkeys? Even Midgets might be a stretch. However pheasant/partridge-chukar could be the ticket (given you're experienced with the quail). You might post up some questions/read some threads, here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/50/pheasants-and-partridge-chukar

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by