Turkey recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Ottoman, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Ottoman

Ottoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Florida
    I would like to see what your recipes for turkey is?
    oven roasted, grilled, deep fried, baked or in a bag?
    Give us some of your turkey recipes, pleas. [​IMG]

One of the best seasoning I have used on turkey is Old Bay, crab boil seasoning.

2. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    I cook about 8 or so Turkeys a year. I stock up when they are cheap at Thanksgiving. I am sure they are not as good as home grown but I have not branched into meat birds as yet.

I cook them lots of ways. I oven bake with or without the oven bag. Have tried putting it breast down etc. I think the juciest way was deep frying as I have an electric turkey fryer(just a huge fryer) but oil is so expensive now and the result was good but not out of this world good.

As for seasoning I usually use a rub of garlic, pepper and some season salt. Them baste off and on with some butter. I usually don't stuff my bird. I make stuffing on the side. I will try the crab boil seasoning next. Sounds Yummy.

I have also brined my bird and I know that it is a bit of a pain but I think that is the moistest result of all. I tried injecting and that did not seem to work well for me. I used a whole bottle of liquid smoke, two cups of brown sugar and garlic and salt in enough water to float the bird for 24 hours. Skin did not crisp like a non brined bird but it was super moist.

Can't wait to hear what everyone else does. [​IMG]

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I brine. I use lots of salt, several lemons cut in half, several garlic cloves and some sprigs of fresh rosemary. Let it sit in the fridge over night. I stuff my turkey with my MIL's dressing. Rub more garlic and EVOO on the outside of the turkey, more lemons and rosemary around turkey. Cook in the oven, no bag.

4. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Does anyone cook their turkey on an outdoor grill? I found some info on this on the internet and was wondering if the result was good. IF you do can you post info on how you do it? Also, anyone smoke the turkey in a smoker?

5. I just rub mine down good with butter,salt pepper and cover with aluminum foil and bake on 350 until done; I make my stuffing from the juices in the pan and chicken stock from the liver gizzard and neck.I don't stuff my bird either.its usually pretty moist but i really rub it down with LOTS OF BUTTER. marrie

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ours is simple, get the turkey, butter the turkey, cover the turkey, cook the turkey, bast the turkey, eat the turkey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by