turkey saddles

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by greyartist, Nov 6, 2010.

1. greyartist

greyartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2010
    NC
    I had a hen get very cut up from toms and needed a way to protect her. I have had her separated while healing and will process most of the toms tomorrow. But I wanted her to have something before putting the one tom we're keeping back in with her. I made a saddle for her from a tote bag and a fleece cloth for lining. I cut out the pattern, 13" long, 10" wide. I stitched binding tape around the edge to prevent raveling. Then folded the top tab down. I attached a piece of binding to the outer edge, then thru the top tab fold then attached to the other edge. I didn't measure the straps, thinking I would have to adjust but they ended up fitting ok. Putting it on was a task, but I got her wings thru the loops made from the straps and it sits very snug to her body. You can hardly see it on her.
    [​IMG]
    009 by greyart, on Flickr[/img]
    [​IMG]
    010 by greyart, on Flickr[/img]
    [​IMG]
    turkeysaddle by greyart, on Flickr[/img]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You did a good job, much neater than mine (for chickens.) I just cut one out of polarfleece, then cut two slats for the wings. No sewing.

3. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    What a lucky girl!

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Good job! One thing that helps so the hens don't get cut is to trim the tom's nail. You want to take the sharp point off the inner nail, that's the one that does the damage. It's like doing a dog's nail - don't cut to much of they will bleed.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by