turkey sausage?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ninjapoodles, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Although my wonderful local butcher doesn't process poultry, he has told me that if, when I process my turkeys this winter, I will bring him the processed birds, he will make turkey sausage for me.

Is it worth having this done? I mean, how hard is it to make your own sausage? I know Barbara Kingsolver learned how to make her own, but I'm not sure I could. Do you have to add in other meats or fats?

2. coopy

coopy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Making sausage is so easy. Grind up your turkey and get you a little pork grind up with it. You need to have alittle fat in the sausage. You can get you a breakfast sausage mix (I love Mrs. Wages) or make your own. I will see if I can find some recipes for you if you wish.
    I make venison breakfast sausage and it is great. Go to mrswages.com and check out her sausage mix.

3. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks, coopy--I just ordered 2 packages of the Mrs. Wage's sausage mix (and some other goodies from that site)! [​IMG]

4. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    For the past couple of years I have made my own sausage. I use ground turkey, or beef. Add some extra fat, and fresh herbs. It is great!! No chemicals to make me feel sick and it is fun to make up different flavor combinations.

5. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Yum! Making my own sausage is so on my list of self sufficent skills that I have yet to master. Let us know how it goes!!!!

6. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I am having rather a problem coming up with a source of what I'd consider "clean" pork. We don't eat a lot of it (I've even taken to using BaconSalt instead of real bacon), especially because of the toxins that can accumulate in fat.

Could you use beef fat in place of pork fat to grind in to the turkey meat? And what about commercial turkey sausage, that's 100% turkey meat? Where do they get the fat--from the skin? I'd rather use all turkey if I could, but I don't know if it's possible.

7. belibutn

belibutn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    East TN
    I was talking to my wife about doing this with our next run of cornish rock crosses. We were thinking about using a finisher on them, and then harvesting all the fat from the ones we skin, and from around the organs of the ones we pluck. The backs from the skinned chickens will provide an ample amount of meat, and then just toss in the fat and spices...

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    you could grind in some of the skin to add fat or if you have someone nearby who processes their own pork, fresh bacon is very good to add.

9. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    when you folks make your own sausage, are you still using intestines for casing? I was going to buy seafood sausage once from Whole Foods, but the casing was pork. Are there any other options, can you form the link without the casing? I guess one could make sausage patties and then not have to worry about casing.

10. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:I would just have loose sausage, because I'd only use it in recipes, most likely. Then if I really wanted to, I could still form it into patties for breakfast sausage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by