1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey scald or dry pluck?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Azriel, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Do you scald turkeys for plucking? I will be butchering my 1st ever turkey in about a week, and want to do it right. Is it pretty much like doing a chicken just bigger?

2. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    We scalded ours last year. And yes, just like a chicken, only we needed a REALLY bid scalding pot. You can fit both hands inside a turkey!

3. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Yup, just like a chicken! [​IMG]

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

You could try pithing. I pithed two chickens this weekend and was able to dry pluck them fairly easily.

5. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    My grandpa showed us how to dry pluck a turkey once. But you have to do it while the turkey is still warm. If you let it cool down you are going to need to scald it.

6. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Oh, I don't think I could do pithing, I would just be to afraid I would do it wrong.

7. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We scald ours that we kept whole. Skinned the ones that we were cutting up. Our were so big we had to pour hot water into a huge garden tub (like you use to harvest veg or haul stuff around the yard).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  8. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I don't have a pot big enough to scald a turkey so I also heat water to boiling and dump it into a clean garbage can. I make sure the water is hotter than what I need and then add cold water to get the exact temp.

9. hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    New Haven, Vermont
    After we bleedout we will dry pluck the big flight feathers and the tail feathers. There is a huge market out there for them if you can keep them in a complete set. I have not sold any yet but looking at the web i will keep them just incase i find the right person...They have many uses......jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by