Turkey scald or dry pluck?

Azriel

Songster
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Montana
Do you scald turkeys for plucking? I will be butchering my 1st ever turkey in about a week, and want to do it right. Is it pretty much like doing a chicken just bigger?

PatS

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Northern Califonia
We scalded ours last year. And yes, just like a chicken, only we needed a REALLY bid scalding pot. You can fit both hands inside a turkey!

Fowl_Odor002

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Mostly Here
My grandpa showed us how to dry pluck a turkey once. But you have to do it while the turkey is still warm. If you let it cool down you are going to need to scald it.

Azriel

Songster
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Montana
Oh, I don't think I could do pithing, I would just be to afraid I would do it wrong.

SycolinWoodsChickens

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Northern Virginia
We scald ours that we kept whole. Skinned the ones that we were cutting up. Our were so big we had to pour hot water into a huge garden tub (like you use to harvest veg or haul stuff around the yard).

Last edited:

bwmichaud

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
I don't have a pot big enough to scald a turkey so I also heat water to boiling and dump it into a clean garbage can. I make sure the water is hotter than what I need and then add cold water to get the exact temp.

hitnspit

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
New Haven, Vermont
After we bleedout we will dry pluck the big flight feathers and the tail feathers. There is a huge market out there for them if you can keep them in a complete set. I have not sold any yet but looking at the web i will keep them just incase i find the right person...They have many uses......jim

Top Bottom