Turkey setup?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by sgtmck1, Jun 8, 2010.

1. sgtmck1

sgtmck1 Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    Sterling, Ok.
    I am new to the turkeys. Do you have coops for them do they sleep outside? What kind of setup do yall use turkeys

2. pdpatch

pdpatch Songster

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    A persons setup depends an several things.

A lot depends on the predators you have present. You don't really need a coop unless you have a potential problem with predators getting your turkeys as night. Then it's a matter of locking them up at night to keep them safe. You should eat least provide them with covered roost so they can get out of the sun during the day. They also need to have a place to roost at night where predators can't get to them. So if you don't have trees they can into you may need to consider a coop of some sort or a Pen/flyway.

Another item is in most states it's illegal to allow the release of domesticated animals into the wild. So you must have a strategy to keep them on your property.

What we do:
    We have two turkey coops, one is an old chevy van that we gutted, the windows have been removed and replaced with wire mesh. It has a flyway that is 10 feet by 25 feet attached to it. The other is about 6 feet wide and 10 feet long with a pen that's 8 wide and 12 feet long. We do let them out during the day to free range for several hours.

Tom

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:Ok, you GOTTA show us pics of the Chevy coop! Please???????

4. pdpatch

pdpatch Songster

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Well if you really want to see it.

Last year I had to barrow the rear axle to fix my brothers cadilac so it's kind of does move now.

[​IMG]

Tom

5. OmaBird

OmaBird Songster

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I sold some chickens to a lady that used a 50 foot double wide trailer for her chickens.

I am a horse breeder. Somewhat retired do to my illness. I have lots of barns. My turkeys go into part of my barn that has a cement bottom. It looks like a tripple garage because it does have garage doors on it and a second story above it. It is meant for hay storage and is plenty big for lots of turkeys. I scrape it clean and rinse it down. Durring the day they are fenced with 6 foot horse fencing and a 6 foot chain link fence. One fence is not enough when it is breeding season. I need to keep the hens close or they will be lunch for someone. When it is not laying season they do stay close to the barn. Everyone is locked up at night and not let out until late morning.

6. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    That's awesome, PD, great recycling! And thanks for posting the pic for me [​IMG]

7. OmaBird

OmaBird Songster

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Quote:Let me give a warning. My Father in law just left CA yesterday to drive to Hastings for his 60th High School Reunion. If you can stay off the road. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by