turkey sexing help please

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by animalbaby4everandalwyz, Aug 14, 2010.

1. animalbaby4everandalwyz

animalbaby4everandalwyz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    West Tennessee
    I just got a turkey and i dont know what he/she is and he/she is about 3 mts old does anyone know how i can tell right now? Or even if there is a way to tell

THANKS SO much

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    By three months you should have a pretty good idea (but some can still fool you). The snood (bump on nose)should be elongating on the males by now, and toms should be developing some large bumps at the base of the neck (caruncles). Of course, these distinctions would be much easier to recognize if you had one of each to compare. A picture would be worth a thousand guesses at this point as well.

If the snood is still just a little fuzzy bump, its "probably" a hen. If the snood is starting to flop on one side of the beak, its probably a male. It may be a little young for the snood to be flopping down, but if it is a male, the snood should be doing some weird thing within a couple of weeks. (flopping, elongating, contracting, pulsing...a weird little appendage [​IMG] )

Other characteristics are that males grow faster and larger, and have bigger feet, but you would need something to compare to.

3. animalbaby4everandalwyz

Jan 24, 2009
    West Tennessee
    i will try and get a picture... it may be hard to tell him/her because him/her lost an eye and everything so i will try and get a pic tommorow asap.....

4. animalbaby4everandalwyz

Jan 24, 2009
    West Tennessee
    here are some pics i hope they actually turned out good.,....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    It looks way younger than 3 months to me... are you sure it's months and not weeks?

6. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I agree with Frosty. Hard to see the feathering, but by its size and still-feathered head, I would guess about 5 weeks.

Kind of young yet to be sure of the sex, at least for me.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  7. animalbaby4everandalwyz

Jan 24, 2009
    West Tennessee
    thats what i was told hes big... ill get some body shots..he is hard to take pictures of lol he runs everywere

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    It looks like that poult is way younger than 3 months. Hard to tell that young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by