Turkey sick. Has anyone seen this before.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by country Jeff, Mar 7, 2016.

1. country Jeff

country Jeff New Egg

Mar 7, 2016
    [​IMG]
    She's eating and drinking but looks really bad. Any ideals on what this is and what I should do for her.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I assume that she is sick, and wasn't roughed up tl ause the swollen face. She could have a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG.) That can cause sneezing, gurgling, nasal drainage, and swollen eyes and sinuses. Tylan 200 injectable from a feed store cattle section, would be good to treat her with. Use 1/4 ml or cc per 5 pounds weight, twice a day for 5 days. Give a shot or give it orally, keep her warm, and get her ro drink fluids. MG is very conagious to other poultry, and they become carriers for life.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  3. country Jeff

country Jeff New Egg

Mar 7, 2016
    Thanks. I haven't noticed any sneezing or anything. She was fine yesterday evening when I checked on them. Today she was like that but still eating and drinking. I will try that tylan and see what happens. Can we still eat her?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you think that should could have been attacked by another bird or a predator? Does she have any nasal drainage or eye gunk? If so, I would not eat her. If she was attacked, then that might make a difference. I'm sorry about your turkey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by