Turkey sitting on muscovy eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ametauss, Dec 18, 2008.

1. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I really thought my large white turkey was a male until my young muscovy female started to lay eggs and the turkey decided that she would sit on the muscovy's eggs since the muscovy didn't want anything to do with the eggs once she laid them.....

Do you guys think there's anything wrong with letting the turkey sit on the duck eggs??

The Turkey is VERY protective of the eggs and as the muscovy lays more she puts them under her. This morning she actually took a nip at me which she's never done before....

Second question is how long before the ducks hatch?? Should I take the young ducks from her or will she try to raise them??

[​IMG]

2. ricklo

ricklo Chillin' With My Peeps

How long has she been sitting on the eggs??
    If the Muscovy is still laying ,then she is not ready to sit (you said as the duck lays the turkey puts the eggs under her) .
    With the turkey sitting on the eggs and the duck is still laying then they will all hatch at a day apart.
    My muscovies takes anywhere between 30-35 days to hatch.
    My turkey hens are not the greatest Moms and I put my Turkey eggs under Chickens!
    It will be Funny for the turkey to take them swimming!!!![​IMG]
    My Muscovy is the best mom of the Bunch!!!!!
    But maybe someone else has some Ideas![​IMG]

3. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Just to add, if she's putting a new egg under her every time the duck lays them, then they will be developing at different times and you'll have multiple days of hatching. This wont work because after the turkey decides enough hatched, she'll leave the half developed eggs and they'll die.

4. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Can the muscovy eggs survive in 20-30 degree weather w/o being sat on??

I brought 2 in before the Turkey started taking them and put them in the fridge with the chicken eggs...

Should I remove the eggs from the Turkey?? I could put the muscovy eggs in the chicken coop where the Turkey could not get at them but I don't keep it very warm.

Thanks for all the info.

[​IMG]

5. ricklo

ricklo Chillin' With My Peeps

I can not help you with these questions, I am in all warm weather climate.
    Good Luck!

6. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    As stated above if the duck is still laying and the hen is sitting you will only get a few hatchings. It is perfectly fine to let the hen sit on eggs. I have hens that are great mothers and will sit on any egg and raise as they are her own. What you need to do is collect all the eggs as the duck lays 'em and keep the hen with a couple to keep her sitting and once you have a full clutch then set them under her preferably at night and she should accept them and then you'll have an even hatch. Once the hen starts to sit the hatching timer starts and any added after that will not make it because once the early ones start to hatch she will leave the rest and they will not hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by