Turkey sneezing?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Scot1458, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Scot1458

Scot1458 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    This is my first batch of turkeys. Have 4 MW males, actually getting ready to butcher them. Well noticed one jake has he was strutting yesterday making a sneezing sound every other minute or so. It sounds like "PPPPPFFFFTTT". I have searched the web, and I think this may be just something the that the males do to "show off". Obviously I'm concenred about diseases.

Has anyone seen this before?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    If only occurring while displaying (sounds more like a `chuff' `chuff' to me), think human body builder striking a pose and then taking small breaths in order to survive, but not deflate.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  3. Scot1458

Oct 4, 2009
    That could be it. It isn't really a sneeze, sounds like short blast of air. Thought it could be a respiratory disease, although they do not have any other symptoms. They just started doing this and they are about 6 months old.

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    If it only happens while they're strutting, don't worry about it.

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I have just been searching all over to see if I could find a sound recording of the spit and drum that tom turkeys do... the closest that I could find so far is the champion turkey caller Preston Pittman on youtube:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  6. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    The PFFT noise is pretty cool, but the drumming sound after is reeally cool. Listen just after the "sneeze" for the very low vibration. If you watch closely, you can see their tail feathers vibrating. It's just one more thing on the long list of things that make turkeys fun.

7. Scot1458

Oct 4, 2009
    I just started to notice that! It's like a vibration when they flut their wings out.

This is my first year with Turkeys, they are amazing birds to watch. Espeicaly the males, the way their heads change color. Awsome birds.

8. trippy

trippy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    oi, this is a super old thread but it just helped me alot so im going to reply... just got turkeys ..HUGE TURKEYS!!! and the tom is walking around with this sneezing sound.. so of course only having chickens and other small poultry i got worried and came online to see what the noise is hes making..thought it was some kind of respiratory disease but he is in fact doing the dumming right after he makes the pffft sneezy kinda sound so, PHEWF! 2 gigaNTIC healthy new birds ( a laying hen and a big ol tom // white domesticated turkeys) added to my mini farm
    :) thanks, backyardchickens!!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  9. Glor

Glor Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2013
    Trippy, I'm doing the same I hatched my turkey chick it was born July 3rd, 2013.
    A couple days ago it make a puff sound and puffed out his wings at the same time
    It was so cute, I remember my father inlaws turkeys doing this when the were much
    Much older than this little chick I was supprised, not sure why they make the sound
    Either especially at such a young age and it was the only one that hatched from
    12 eggs that had been ordered from a reputable bird farm on line. Wish more had hattached.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by