Turkey sounds and color

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Vellie, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Vellie

Vellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    New York
    I just brought home a Narragansett tom tonight, he is a year old. I am trying to find out what the color changes in his head and neck mean, the fluffing of his feathers, and what his sounds mean? Along with ANY other information some one has for me, I have been trying to find out what my pet tom's behaviors are. Any and all information would be very much appreciated.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

A male turkey's face will flush for a lady friend (hen), or if he's a bit scared. They puff up and try to make themselves look very big and scary, to intimidate you, or to romance a lady.

He may be feeling a bit insecure because he's not used to his new surroundings yet.

3. HoglundH

HoglundH Chillin' With My Peeps

Most of the time the tom changes color based on his arousal. Usually trying to impress his girlfriends or intimidate his enemies. They are very entertaining. I have a good size gobbler and he seems to be constantly strutting.

4. Vellie

Feb 9, 2011
    New York
    Does anyone know where I can get pictures that show me what the color changes mean? He is a good boy and I want to understand him the best I can. Thank you so much for the quick responses!!! [​IMG]

5. HoglundH

Do you have any girls for him? You will get to know him very quickly. I dont think that you need any guides. My naragansett is very friendly and easy to take care of. Like most animals, they need companions.

6. Vellie

Feb 9, 2011
    New York
    Well about companions, we were under the impression he didn't need any since we had chickens. The gentlemen does have his woman. Are you saying I should pick her up, or are my chickens enough?

7. HoglundH

Ideally chickens and turkeys should not be housed together. Blackhead disease. We lost a turkey hen this year to it. It is a parasite that chickens give to turkeys through their poop. Our chickens can mingle during the day with the turkeys, but get housed separately at night.

8. Vellie

Feb 9, 2011
    New York
    So does he need his woman or is our clan enough? LOL

9. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    If he is strutting comfortably, then his red is trying to attract mates. If he is just fluffed up trying to look bigger, his red probably indicates nervousness. Turkeys are flock animals. I would get him a girlfriend turkey. You can eat teh eggs or let her hatch some more turkeys for you in the spring.

10. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Won't toms sometimes accidentally kill chickens by trying to mate them? If he had a turkey hen, it would probably be better for everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by