Turkey Soup?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by yotetrapper, Jun 1, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    What do you put in yours? I'm talking about the soup made from a leftover roast turkey carcass.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My mom makes turkey congee. Boil turkey left overs down with garlic and ginger, and once all is soft and almost falling apart, remove bones. Then add rice and cook for a long time. Toss in some green onion and cilantro to taste at the end and = great breakfast.

3. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I cook the carcass with onions and celery and some pepper in the crockpot all day. Strain the stock and put in a big pan. Pick out the meat and set aside; discard the veggies and bones.

Then heat the stock on the stove, add onions, carrots (not too many or your soup will taste like carrots), celery, peas, corn, whatever you have on hand. Add salt and pepper to taste, a little thyme is nice too.

When the veggies are partly done, add some cooked or dry egg noodles. If you add them dry they'll be yummy but soak up a lot of broth. I generally add more water when I add the noodles and it all works out but a lot of folks prefer to cook them before adding them in.

When it is almost done, add the meat back in and taste for seasoning. I love the body of turkey soup made this way, and the leftovers are sublime!

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Thanks!!

I took the remaining extra meat from the carcass after it came out of the broth from yesterday, and I pulled it apart, now I'm making turkey and noodles with the white sauce and homemade noodles.... yummy!

5. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Quote:Vicki, that sounds just like my turkey soup! Wish I had some right now. Mmmmm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by