Turkey standing on the throat of another

runamuckmel

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 24, 2012
Just wondering if anyone else has ever witnessed this before. I have four turkeys left over from christmas. They are generally very social and friendly towards me and each other. I leave them roam around most days. I went into the garden today and saw one of my turkeys lying on her back and had feared the worst. I ran over to her and saw one of the other turkeys with its foot on her throat. I shooed the other turkey away and the one that had been lying on the ground was ok but a bit shook. The turkeys were all a bit aggressive towards one another and were also displaying their feathers. Any ideas of what's going on??

How old are they? How old were they before Christmas? They sound like one is trying to dominate. Have you heard of Pecking Order? As far as I know all birds have it. But give me more detail on what their daily habits are & I might be able to help you-- there's always a reason why a turkey acts out of line.

Hi weirdturkeyfreak,

They are about 7 months old, I leave them out into their pen in the morning and if I am about I leave them out into the garden. The grass in the pen is a bit sparse, that's why I leave them out of their pen as much as possible but only if I'm around because there are also a few foxes about and have also seen a mink around a few months ago. I think they are still trying to sort out a pecking order and maybe going into mating season. I live in Ireland and the weather has been unussually nice and the days are becoming a bit longer. They have had a few minor squabbles (a bit of neck pulling) in the past but I was a bit taken aback at that level of aggression, since they are generally such sociable creatures. Thankfully, I didn't see a repeat of yesterdays antics today.

If it was a male standing on the jenny's neck then it might have had nothing to do with aggression, at all. The `young' fellas occasionally `confuse' directions when getting started and can be persistent about it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom