turkey strips

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by scooter147, Aug 5, 2010.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Last night I went down to my parents to help mom out with dad (recent surgery) and for dinner we had fried turkey. NO not the whole thing fried in peanut oil. She took a turkey breast cut it into strips rolled in egg/buttermilk/seasoned wash then in flour and fried in the ole iron skillet.
    MAN WAS IT GOOD. I never had it like that.

2. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    That does sound good. Although, anything dipped in batter and fried is already 10 times better! [​IMG]

I also heard taking a whole turkey and smoking it is delish. Never had the resources to smoke a whole turkey tho!

3. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:TURKEY STEAK!
    I was raised on a turkey breeding farm and there was always an old tom breaking a wing or leg and to save the meat we would just bleed them out, skin and cut the strips of meat off both the breast and thigh. There was a lot of meat because these bird weighed around 50 lbs.
    Mother was a simple country cook. Anything more than salt and pepper was "highly seasoned" in her estimation. She often cooked it by dredging in flour, browning it in Crisco and then slow cooked it in the covered skillet. Then there was the gravey and the mashed potatoes. Still my favorite way to enjoy turkey yet to this day. It can also be fried plain, battered and deep fried, marinated and grilled (I like soy sauce marinades best for this). When grilling follow a procedure that controls drying. For those of you who end up with a great big turkey from a fair project this is a great way to enjoy it out of the freezer for many meals.

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Quote:It is, that is my favorite way to cook turkey. Though you have to find a smoker big enough. The one thing that sort of puts people off though, is that if you smoke it with mesquite (my smoking wood of choice) it gives some of the meat, especially the dark meat, a pinkish tint that makes it look undercooked. My parents used to own a barbecue restaurant and they had to stop smoking the chicken because so many customers sent it back complaining that it was not cooked enough, when it was fine, just the color of the meat from the smoke. It does that to beef too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by