Turkey swelling on skull- fluid filled?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by myohmiya, Aug 14, 2013.

1. myohmiya

myohmiya Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2013
    We've got a BBB turkey at the farm I work at, about 4 months old, and the top of its head, just around the skull, looks as though it's filled with fluid, it wobbles a little when the bird walks around. I can get a pic tomorrow but thought I'd see if anyone had seen this before. It is not swollen head syndrome, as it's just above the skull, like it's wearing a helmet- the face looks normal. Turkey acts perfectly normal, it is a bit smaller than most of the others though. Any thoughts?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like swollen head syndrome to me. It affects turkeys and meat birds most of the time. I would be interested in seeing a picture. Here is a thread from a few weeks ago of a chicken with what I thought was SHS although they never could get it confirmed. It eventually went down after 2 weeks, much like SHS: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/809141/extreme-cranial-swelling-graphic-pics

3. myohmiya

Feb 1, 2013
    interesting, the turkey doesn't look like that as there's no swelling on the face at all- even by the "eyebrows". will get a pic up tomorrow

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't know if you are in Minnesota, but there have been a lot of outbreaks of SHS there in the past.

5. myohmiya

Feb 1, 2013
    We're in WA. These are the best pics I could get without having a finger pecked off :)[​IMG][/IMG]

6. myohmiya

Feb 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

7. myohmiya

Feb 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

8. myohmiya

Feb 1, 2013
    Update with Graphic photos below! (I'm not seeing where to edit the title of the post.. sorry!)

We butchered the turkeys and I thought I'd post what was in there in case anyone was interested, it turned out to be a relatively hard fat deposit in the skull

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Egg Yolk

Egg Yolk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    Dayton, NV
    Woah... That is gross

10. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh My Stars!
    Thanks for posting.