Turkey Terror!

lkellogg

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 18, 2013
Windsor, Colorado
I have one Tom turkey in with 10 hens and a Roo, I recently added three younger pullets which I did slowly leaving them in a seperate area so they could get use each other with a see through barrior. But my tom seems not only peck but chase them all over and terrorize them, I know turkeys can be very mean but is there anything I can do to before I remove him totally????

Turkeys, especially the Toms, can be very single minded and focussed, to the point of being obsessive about it. This is made even more apparent when they feel they need to establish themselves as top cock in the pen. When there are more turkeys together, they tend to deal with each other, and leave the chickens somewhat alone.

I would either have him for Thanksgiving, or get more turkeys for him to hang out with.

I have one Tom turkey in with 10 hens and a Roo, I recently added three younger pullets which I did slowly leaving them in a seperate area so they could get use each other with a see through barrior. But my tom seems not only peck but chase them all over and terrorize them, I know turkeys can be very mean but is there anything I can do to before I remove him totally????

Also, come visit us on the Colorado Thread! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/68894/colorado/17570#post_12362255

Back
Top Bottom