Turkey tips needed!!

Dusti Tice

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2019
Booneville Ms
I was thinking of raising some turkeys. Royals plans to be exact. And was wondering how much space they need? How many do I need? What kind of shelter do they need? Any tips appreciated thanks

I have Royal Palm and Midget White. In order to answer your questions it would help to know your location/climate? Are you in the country? Any close neighbors? Will the be penned or free range?

I have Royal Palm and Midget White. In order to answer your questions it would help to know your location/climate? Are you in the country? Any close neighbors? Will the be penned or free range?
I am in the country, I live in booneville ms, and I was wanting to put them in a three sided shed with a run attached

A three sided shed and run would work well in MS. As for room, bigger is better. I have four in a shed that's approximately 10 x 20 with a poultry yard that's 24 x 24. I also have other poultry with them. If your getting poults or hatching eggs, hold off on the run until the birds grow and then you'll see how much room is needed.

The general rule of thumb is 10sgft in coop and 100sqft in run.
Mine sleep in the trees most of the time. Not that I think that is safe but I got tired of going out an hour before sunset and knocking them out before they got too high to reach with a 10ft pole

A three sided shed and run would work well in MS. As for room, bigger is better. I have four in a shed that's approximately 10 x 20 with a poultry yard that's 24 x 24. I also have other poultry with them. If your getting poults or hatching eggs, hold off on the run until the birds grow and then you'll see how much room is needed.
I was thinking buying poults? But how many should I buy?

The general rule of thumb is 10sgft in coop and 100sqft in run.
Mine sleep in the trees most of the time. Not that I think that is safe but I got tired of going out an hour before sunset and knocking them out before they got too high to reach with a 10ft pole
🤣😂 that is too funny!

If you've newer had turkeys I'd recommend that you research on raising turkeys and different breeds. I'd advise you to start with just a few; 6-10.

Back
Top Bottom