Turkey Tips

MoodyChicken

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Northern California
For my friend's birthday, I surprised her with 6 freshly laid Narragansett turkey eggs. She's been trying to find turkeys forever, and as soon as I saw those eggs I nearly tackled the breeder to claim them as mine. Supposedly they're from a champion bloodline, some of the best Narris in the US, according to the breeder. Sporting my prize, I met a very nice Canadian turkey breeder (I think his name was Brian Roblin?) who shared some turkey secrets with me. He also mentioned that poults look and act as if they'll die during their first week of life. Is this true? Are there any other turkey tips I should give my friend before they hatch? I want to buy one of the mature hens when they grow up. So please help us both out!

Last year I lost 8 out of 15..

I was reading everything on this site I could find. I finally found an ole timer that had raised turkey for many years and he stated to that he fed his turkeys medicated feed.

You will read a lot of posters stating to not feed med. feed.. BUT after reading and then gave my turkeys medicated feed I didn't lose anymore..

I have turkey eggs hopefully that will be hatching April 30.. I added some chicken eggs 7 days later to hatch same day..

This will help teach the little dumb turkeys how to eat..

Hopes this helps some... I'm no expert myself..

Turkeys are the dumbest things going. When we got ours, we put chicks in the same brooder so the turkeys would watch the chicks eat and drink. I also put brghtly colored marbles in their waterer to attract their attention. I feed medicated feed as it was all we could get here but I didn't lose any at all. I alos used to tap my finger nail on the side of the feeder to get their attention it seemed to work. I wasn't worried about the brooder, I was told you lose about half once they are outside. We put up netting over their coop and built them a house they didn't like it but they were put away every night until they were grown. Again I didn't loose one. Hope this helps Micki

Make sure you give them high protein and keep them off dirt (they eat the dirt and not the feed). I fed mine hard boiled egg yolks for the first 3 weeks and every one survived great!

We don't feed medicated feed ever. We use natural alt. to the meds with great success.

The tricks we found with poults is to....

keep them very warm 98-100 deg. for the first week or so then start dropping temps 5deg a week.

Keep them in a smaller brooder for the first week, we use the 90 quart tubs, fits 15 poults easy for a week. This keeps them close to the feed and water so they really can't forget.

After they are 2 weeks old I move them on to wire floored cages. This helps keep them out of their waste and diseases. Plus helps keep them clean.

Ours don't touch dirt till they are 8-10 weeks old. At this time they should have a fully developed immune system and be healthy ready to go.

Quote:
I agree with JB, we feed only medicated feed and so far this year we have lost 2 out of a couple hundred poults. Both I put down becuase they were runts and weren't growing and keeping up with the others. When they first hatch we raise them with chicks for the first week until they are eating and drinking well. Don't over crowd the brooder that's how some get pushed aside and "starve out'

For the brooder temp my best advice is throw away the thermostat and let the poults tell you what temp they want. If they are huddled under the light they are cold, if on the outer edges of the brooder it's to hot. They should be milling around eating and drinking and being turkeys.
smile.png
. Our brooder light starts about 18-ish inches high when they first come out of the incubator. It's getting warmer and warmer here in NC so the time under the heat lamp is getting shorter as well. There are some about 3 weeks old now that are just under a 100W light bulb.

Feed them a high protien feed right from the start, we use a 28% protien game bird starter - I would use higher if it wasn't a special order.

Steve in NC

Now see, I have mine in their own brooder, own food, & own waterer. I was told if you put them in with chicks they will die. If they eat chick starter they will die. If I out them outside where my adults chickens have been they will die. If they don't have super high protein they will die........
Do you see my pattern here? I had no clue they were such picky birds. SO.....I have them separated from all other life form (except me.
wink.png
) I was wondering when I can put them with the adult chickens? I know that people have turkeys and chickens together.......why can't I? Sorry I am sure that did not answer any of your questions.
tongue.png

I was told that you have to keep them seperate because of blackhead. Some areas either do not have the organism, or it is rare though. They told me to call the county extension to find out. If it is not then it will not kill them to be mixed.

Harley's girl :

Now see, I have mine in their own brooder, own food, & own waterer. I was told if you put them in with chicks they will die. If they eat chick starter they will die. If I out them outside where my adults chickens have been they will die. If they don't have super high protein they will die........
Do you see my pattern here? I had no clue they were such picky birds. SO.....I have them separated from all other life form (except me.
wink.png
) I was wondering when I can put them with the adult chickens? I know that people have turkeys and chickens together.......why can't I? Sorry I am sure that did not answer any of your questions.
tongue.png

I don't think they are that picky at all, I have read all the "don't do's" with turkeys and find most if not all to be turkey poo. As young poults they can be quirky but it's not a big deal.

We are starting to move some White Hollands outside now at just over 9 weeks. We had them out about a week ago but it was raining about every other day so we moved them back in the brooder barn until it cleared and they got more used to being outside. (poults don't do well at all if damp and chilly) Our "maturnity" pen is totaly covered over but with open sides so they can still get wet with blowing rain. They are with other chickens that are about 3 months old. They will stay in that pen for another 2 + months and then join the flock.

Steve in NC​

I agree with Steve, turkeys are not picky, but they just are a little different than chickens. You just have to change a few things. Put them with your chickens when they are about 2-3 months old.

Back
Top Bottom