Turkey Toe Nail Injury

So this evening when I went to round up my fowl I saw some blood on a table and the ground(Not a whole lot). This had to have happened within a 2 hour window. I saw which turkey it was and I will have marked where the toe nail seems to be cut off In the picture below using red ink. I don’t know by what means it broke off but it looks like a pretty clean cut. She didn’t cut any part of her toe only the nail. I was wondering if there is anything I need to do to prevent infection or if I don’t need to do anything. The turkeys are about 6 months old now.

Attachments

• C71EF26D-F07E-4B01-B970-A92748C45C07.jpeg
    C71EF26D-F07E-4B01-B970-A92748C45C07.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 138
No offense to your poor turkey- but uh- Thanksgiving is like three days away- and you just brought up a turkey problem? :oops:

I'd soak the toe in warm Epsom Salt water to clean it up, place her in a kennel for a couple of days making certain that the shavings is always clean, and after a couple of days, it should be good to go. If the nerve is sticking out, I'd probably want to keep an eye on it even longer, though.

No offense to your poor turkey- but uh- Thanksgiving is like three days away- and you just brought up a turkey problem? :oops:

I'd soak the toe in warm Epsom Salt water to clean it up, place her in a kennel for a couple of days making certain that the shavings is always clean, and after a couple of days, it should be good to go. If the nerve is sticking out, I'd probably want to keep an eye on it even longer, though.
As long as there’s no bleeding, it’ll be fine to just leave it alone. But yes as the previous poster said, an epsom salt soak wouldn’t hurt.
Thank you both for the advice! Do y’all think the toe nail will come back? I didn’t see any more blood in the coop. All the blood was dried that was near the injury. I could keep her in an enclosure by herself, but they don’t seem to be too smart at this age. Due to the fact whenever I first let them out in the morning they will be trying to walk through the gate head first which an earthworm couldn’t get through. I’m just afraid she would here her sibling out and wouldn’t quit trying to get through to them.

Back
Top Bottom