Turkey Tom 8 months old Not Eating,Sick??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Hope Frazier, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Hope Frazier

Hope Frazier Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Brownsville, Texas
    We went out of town last week and when we came back one of our toms had quit eating. We chalked up to a change in routine but he still is not eating and is now losing weight. He is not eaten a full meal since Friday August 15. We had wanted to butcher him for Thanksgiving. His only other symptoms are that he has quit gobbling and strutting. He is in a pen with two other toms the same age and they do not seem to be picking on him nor are they exhibiting any symptoms. Should I separate and give antibiotics or just ride this out for a few more days? If I give antibiotics, what should I give and what dose?
    Rundown:
    Symptoms: Not eating, strutting or gobbling
    Duration of symptoms: 6 days

Thank you for any help or advice!!!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What does his poop look like?

-Kathy

3. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    Maybe he heard 'round the ole water cooler that he was going to be the guest of honor at your next Thanksgiving dinner!

4. Hope Frazier

May 21, 2013
    Brownsville, Texas
    It looked normal Kathy til Saturday evening. Then it started getting kind of bright green. He's down this morning, so we're putting him down this afternoon. I have to have a tooth yanked this morning, or i would have done ot already. He's not going to make it.

He only drank about a 1/4 of the gallon of water he had and hasnt eaten anything since friday morning.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry.

-Kathy

6. Hope Frazier

May 21, 2013
    Brownsville, Texas
    Any ideas as to what it is/ was? That happened?

7. Hope Frazier

May 21, 2013
    Brownsville, Texas
    I just hate that im here at the dentist and hes there suffering. And i guess since im so tense shes having issues with this tooth pull

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    My best guess is that he has coccidiosis, a bacterial infection or blackhead and because of that, he stopped eating and drinking and now he's dehydrated and probably hypothermic if he's still outside. All are treatable if caught soon enough, but it does require some effort.

-Kathy

9. Hope Frazier

May 21, 2013
    Brownsville, Texas
    I dont think i caught it it in time. He's been on tetracycline since thursday. What is the treatment for coccidi

10. Hope Frazier

May 21, 2013
    Brownsville, Texas
    I did out forth effort just not the right kind unfortunately

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by