Turkey Tom acting sick

Mandrogora

Songster
5 Years
Jun 28, 2018
NW Montana
I noticed my 10 month old royal palm tom started acting off yesterday. He seems lethargic and isn't gobbling much. He normally gobbles excessively. This morning there was a large puddle of slimy diarrhea on the roost, it looked tannish in color when I wiped it up. I'm not sure if he is eating as he wont usually eat in front of people because he is too busy showing off. I did see him drinking yesterday. He is kept around chickens and ducks. There has been an increase in migratory birds around the past few weeks as well. They have also started foraging a lot more recently as everything is starting to get green. I have left a message with the state veterinarian asking for information on the prevalence of blackhead in the area as I can't find any info. I have Valbazen, Safe-guard, and Enrofloxacin on hand. He has never been dewormed. Any suggestions on how to treat? Thanks.

Just checked, these are photos of fresh poop that looks yellow in tint. Do these look like Blackhead poops?
Turkey Poop.JPG
Turkey Poop 2.JPG

How's your turkey doing? If he were mine I would de-worm with Safeguard and start him on the enrofloxacin right away. I would also get some metronidazole. How much does he weigh? Is your enrofloxacin injectable or oral?

He seems to be doing a bit better. I dewormed with Valbazen on Thursday, 5/6/21. I noticed after posting the Safeguard had expired and wasn't sure if it would still be effective. Some of his poops have improved but I'm still seeing a few that look like the second picture.

I ordered this metronidazole :

https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-6710...&keywords=metronidazole&qid=1620571917&sr=8-5

I couldn't find any locally and figured this would get here the quickest, delivery should be tomorrow. Will this work?

He weighs 22.7 lbs. The enrofloxacin is 10% oral liquid.

We have a young Tom acting wobbly yesterday and today. Noticed some yellow poop today. How is yours? Hope he’s okay! How did you treat?

I ended up treating with enrofloxacin and deworming him. The state veterinarian told me that they had no reports of blackhead in this area. I don't think that is what we were dealing with, fortunately. He started a hard molt immediately after this so I think that was part of it. He is doing great now, still growing back his tail feathers. Hope your Tom gets better.

Back
Top Bottom