Turkey Tractors

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Jared77, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Jared77

Jared77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Howell, MI
    Anybody have any info on roughly how many turkeys in a tractor? I'm looking to do a few next year and wasnt sure how many I could put in an 8 x 8 or 8 x 12 tractor.

Thanks

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:That depends on the size of the tractor, the quality/density of the pasture, and how often you plan to move the tractor.

3. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    I had my 7 BBW's in an 8 x 12 hoop coop. This worked fine up until about the last two weeks of 19. The last two weeks - in order to not be laying in total nastiness - they had to be moved every day. I had a very dense CRP pasture to move them around in so it was fairly hardy. There was still greens after a day - just a lot of turkey poo that I preferred they didn't have to lay in. At the end the 8 by 12 was a little small for 7 BBW's (at least in my estimation of the room they had and the "comfort" I wished to afford them.) Do I think they were at all disturb by the other birds in their coop or the poo? No - but I was [​IMG] Hope that helps.

Jenny

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    They should free range pretty well. Build them a decent run and let them out for a few hours every day. My BBB's return to the run every night.

5. barrybro

barrybro Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    SW Michigan
    I have 25 in a 10 by 10 tractor. I won't put that many in again. I would say 20 is the max for moving once a day (two times the last two weeks).

Barry

6. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    10 if you butcher early, fewer if they are to be in there for 6 to 8 months.

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

wow. I've got 3 in a 6x6, and I move it every day. at least once.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I've got five White Midget hens and a tom in a hoop style tractor measuring roughly 8x8. Might could go with six hens. It's moved every day. They are breeder birds so they've been in there for over a year now and doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by