Turkey Treats

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by sweetshoplady, Nov 20, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    OK, all you enablers. [​IMG] What treats do turkeys like?

I just got 4 cute little poults from poultrykeeper08. He should have warned me of the cuteness factor when I opened the box. [​IMG]

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can figure out how to work this camera phone.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I gave mine yogurt and things just like my chicks and ducks and geese.

Turkey poults will steal your heart.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    When they are young we don't give them anything other than 28% protein game bird starter.

Once they get older and move out side we give them collard greens and they love that.

Steve in NC

4. ricklo

ricklo Chillin' With My Peeps

I chop up an apple every morning for my 3 and hand feed it to them. They love it. If I don't give it to them fast enough in the morning the Tom follows me around and pecks my Butt until he gets his Apple!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  5. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Mine like almost anything that the chickens like. Bread, apples, pumpkin, leftover craft dinner etc etc.

I usually wait until they are a bit older before I start them on treats though, same with my chicken chicks.

Cheers,
    Urban Coyote

6. BeakSanctuary

BeakSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mine loved ripe tomatoes from the garden, but of course long time til that comes around again. Just thinking of all the bounty of the summer makes me want to give them a big grab-bag platter of fresh veggies - I know they'd love that, and hopefully I'll do it.

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Grapes. Mine go NUTS over grapes.. so does a friend's. Like serious nuts over them- MINE! MINE!!!!!

Ditto on dog food.. in fact they have figured out the dog feeder(the one with the swinging door).. have video proof too.. who said turkeys were completely dumb? Only three chickens out of 80 have figured out the door..

Unfortunately, turkeys eat a LOT so this is not a good thing. [​IMG]

8. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Our like left over hot dogs, and french fries.

9. fancybanty

fancybanty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2007
    I just got a trio +1 hen (a quad?) of Royal Palm turkeys. Trying to tame them a little with some hand feeding and sweet talk:) They are doing well but I was curious... Anything they can't have as a treat? Are they the same a chickens in what is good/bad for them?

Thanks,

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I treat mine basically the same except my turkeys get gamebird and/or flock raiser instead of laying feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by