1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey treats?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by reststop, Feb 26, 2016.

1. reststop

reststop New Egg

Feb 1, 2016
    I recently got a pair of Narragansett turkeys about a year old. They are used to free ranging and for the present I am keeping them penned up until they are used to their new home. They are rather aloof and sometimes downright skittish. I was wonder what would be a good treat to get them to be a little friendlier. I have chicken and they like everything but turkeys are new to me and dont want to give them the wrong things. So whats everyone use for treats? thanks in advance

rest

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mine like sunflower seeds, tomatoes, strawberries, cucumber slices, apples, watermelon, stuff like that.

3. reststop

reststop New Egg

Feb 1, 2016
    Thanks I'll try some of those. Gave them half a small pumpkin but they were not impressed with it at all.

rest

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mine aren't big eater of pumpkins either, they like things they can swallow in one gulp, except the watermelon of course. Don't be,surprised if you see big chunks of stuff slowly going down their throats, then them acting like they can't get it down, smaller pieces, they are pigs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by