Turkey treats?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Ochipturkeys, May 26, 2019.

1. Ochipturkeys

Ochipturkeys Hatching

May 24, 2019
    I have 3 broad breasted whites that are on 20% crumble and 12 weeks old. They like romaine lettuce, watermelon, whole oats and BOSS.

Any other treats your turkeys like? How much lettuce or greens do you give your turkeys a day?

Thank you!!!!!

2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    With broad breasted turkeys, I would limit high fat, low protein treats like BOSS. If you aren't feeding a quality all flock feed, you are not giving them enough lysine, methionine and niacin which will cause leg issues.

3. Ochipturkeys

Ochipturkeys Hatching

May 24, 2019
    They are on Purina premium flock raiser crumbles 20% protein for their main feed.

Are there any low fat treats you can recommend?

4. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    When you are feeding a complete feed, adding treats will only serve to diminish the value of the feed they are getting. My recommendation is to provide a quality feed and lots of free range time to supplement the feed.

I don't give my turkeys any treats but the adults do get a quality 20% protein all flock feed and they get to free range all day.

muddy75 likes this.
  5. Ochipturkeys

Ochipturkeys Hatching

May 24, 2019
    Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, I’m not able to let them free range. I will keep them on their flock feed and limit their treats.
    Since they don’t free range, any ideas for boredom/entertainment?

6. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    If you can take them for walks it will help. Some people give their turkeys access to a ball to play with.

@memphis provides her heritage turkeys with a wading pool during the heat of summer and also sets up fans they use to cool off. She does take her hens on walks.

7. Ochipturkeys

Ochipturkeys Hatching

May 24, 2019
    Thank you very much for the ideas!!! I am new at this. My daughter was raising them for 4-H, then decided not to sell them and now they are family pets.

R2elk and muddy75 like this.
  8. muddy75

muddy75 Crowing

Aug 17, 2018
    southern indiana
    my bb’s liked celery best.....i would give them treats about once or twice weekly. mine were just temporary pets however so there was not the same concern about weight/leg issues. I had 1 break his leg at around 25lbs (4-5 months old) trying to fly across the deck.

R2elk likes this.
  9. Ochipturkeys

Ochipturkeys Hatching

May 24, 2019
    Thank you for your reply. Did you give them celery whole? And how much? I definitely want to try it since celery seems like a better option.

muddy75 likes this.
  10. muddy75

muddy75 Crowing

Aug 17, 2018
    southern indiana
    i sliced it up for the entire flock....the silkies loved to play keep away as chicks....i would also let the turkeys nibble at the whole stalks from my hands. typically 1 stalk each or so was plenty for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: