Turkey trouble

Softanchor

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2020
I have 4 white turkeys. They are two and a half months old. They are now pecking each other on the head and leaving injuries. What can I do to get this to stop?

R2elk

Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
I have 4 white turkeys. They are two and a half months old. They are now pecking each other on the head and leaving injuries. What can I do to get this to stop?
It sounds like boredom from being kept in too small an area. Turkeys aren't like chickens and need much more "personal space" They also need something to entertain them which can be as simple as free ranging for bugs.

Softanchor

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2020
It sounds like boredom from being kept in too small an area. Turkeys aren't like chickens and need much more "personal space" They also need something to entertain them which can be as simple as free ranging for bugs.
Thank you for your reply. They are kept in a 10ft by 16 ft house. They get hours of outside time in the 8ft by 12ft tractor pen. I have noticed them pecking at each other during eating.

R2elk

Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
Thank you for your reply. They are kept in a 10ft by 16 ft house. They get hours of outside time in the 8ft by 12ft tractor pen. I have noticed them pecking at each other during eating.
That really isn't a lot of space. My turkeys have a 50'x100' run plus they get to spend most of the day free ranging in a 2 acre compound.

Top Bottom