Turkey vision?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by CDennis, Oct 21, 2009.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    My husband swears our new slate hen is blind because she stood in a corner of the horse trailer and at night, ran around like a crazy person w/ out roosting. Could this be true? She sure seems to eat fine but she has a tom and another hen w/ her at all times.

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Does she still not roost?

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Well, you could test it by moving something in front of her face, perhaps a treat, and see if her eyes and head follow.

4. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    We have only had them two days, last night they didn't roost. She seems to track movement ok, it was just really strange the way she was running around on a mission after it was dark. Odd...

5. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:Chickens can't see well at all in the dark, which is why they tend to find a place to roost long before it gets dark. Turkeys are probably the same way. It seems if she was blind, she would be used to the dark and so darkness wouldn't have brought abut a change.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Turkeys are major creatures of habit, they were looking for their old place to roost. Put them up on a roost for a few nights and they will get the idea.

Steve in NC

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Traditionally Turkeys are know for their lack of well------------ let's just say sometimes a box of hair has more sense than Turkeys. They should eventually get the hang of it, slow learners.

AL

8. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Thanks I will try putting them up on the roost tonight.

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

wait 'till it gets pretty dark or they will jump right back off the roost. Once they get used to roosting there they will go back every nite.

Steve

10. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Having had turkeys and chickens, I would argue against the "turkeys are dumb" theory. They are actually quite intelligent.

My guess is the hen wants to get up and roost but perhaps it's too dark for her to see where to fly up to?

Or, is there a skunk or other animal in there?

Or, is there not enough "flying" room in the trailer for her to be able to get up to the roost?

I have found that if my turkeys act weird, they are upset about something specific -- I just have to observe and note what it is.

I would also try putting her on the roost, as Steve suggested. It is in a turkey's nature to roost very high, so they don't feel safe if they have to stay on the ground at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by