Turkey Vultures

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by laurenluckyriri, Sep 9, 2016.

1. laurenluckyriri

laurenluckyriri Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2016
    I'm new to having ducks and I don't know if it's turkey vultures or hawks circling my pen! They're all black and HUGE. We have a dead porcupine on the opposite side of the yard and I saw one eating it but if they know where a carcass is why are they flying over the pen? My muscovys are almost full grown but I do have a small one too.. Should I worry about turkey vultures? I came home yesterday and it was circling too until it saw me, same with this morning...

2. Carpenter

Carpenter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    It sounds like turkey vultures to me. They shouldn't pose a threat to full grown birds. Their main diet consists of carrion.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ehhhh....turkey vultures can go after live prey if hungry enough and it's there and easy to get at.

4. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    Sounds like turkey vultures. They do circle all over riding the thermals. Personally I've never had a problem with them, though their shadows will make the birds dive for cover.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chickaddict44

Chickaddict44 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    I have many turkey vultures in the area. I'm sure they're attracted by our rat kills. They circle our farm a lot and have never had an issue. We have bantams and mums with chicks free ranging without issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by