Turkey Vultures

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gokan68, Jul 26, 2011.

1. gokan68

gokan68 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    Wetmore, Texas
    Howdy Ya'll....

Today I was at the house around noon and the girls were outside free ranging like they do every day. I heard my BR clucking loudly and causing all sorts of ruckus, the other two were on alert. When I got out to the back of the house, the girls were on the porch and my BR was clucking, growling and still fussing about something. First I thought it was a snake on the porch, checked it out, nothing. She was still causing a fuss then I noticed sitting on my fence was a turkey vulture.

I saw another one sitting in my neighbors huge oak tree and another one on the ground in his back yard. I peered over the fence, thinking something had died in his yard but there was not a thing. So I gathered up the girls, put them in their coop and locked the door for the rest of the afternoon, it was only 101 today where I live in Texas.

So my question is do turkey vultures hunt for live food? Everything I have read on the internet seems to point to a "no" on the live hunting. Seems they only scavenge for carrion with their keen sense of smell. We have a huge venue {group of vultures} of about 50+ birds that roost about a mile from my house.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences, advice or amusing anecdotes about the turkey vultures!

2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I have HEARD of people saying they lost chickens to vultures. I have never SEEN it. We have black vultures and they never even look twice at my free ranging chickens. Turkey vultures are supposed to be even less interested in live meat.

When I see several on a fence or in a tree, I just can't help thinking, "I dunno. What do you wanna do?" Can't remember what cartoon that was.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Only if you chicken is dead will a turkey vulture be interested in it. So unless all your chickens are zombies, you have nothing to worry about, at all.

4. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

My chickens fuss about the turkey vultures, as they should, because they fly over head, but I don't believe the turkey vultures are a threat to healthy, live birds.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I get them when they smell death.Good practice for the roo(to make his sounds) and the hens to take cover for the *real* attacks by hawks.It has been 2 years now and never has one attacked the chickens.They go for the dead stuff in the woods.

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Turkey vultures only eat dead, now black vultures will kill sometimes

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    My chickens give the "AIRBORNE PREDATOR!!!!" call at the numerous ringneck doves we have in our yard. I think they react to any sudden aerial movement.

8. Velvet Hairpiece

Velvet Hairpiece Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Quote:Jungle Book?

9. gokan68

gokan68 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    Wetmore, Texas
    No zombie chickens here, now when the lights go out.....who knows![​IMG]

10. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps