1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey w/ blckhd - 5 days Metronid. still yellow poop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mjsjr, Mar 3, 2015.

1. mjsjr

mjsjr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2014
    I just completed a 5 day (500mg/day) course of Metronidazole for my turkey with blackhead. The bird is MUCH improved (color returned to its head, not droopy, solid poop, etc.) - but its poop is still somewhat yellow. It isn't the BRIGHT yellow that it was - it is more like a yellow chalk dust yellow - and not entirely - maybe only half the poop has the color. The rest of it is normal.

My question is - should I continue dosing the bird with Met. or is this normal in the course of treatment?

Thanks

Mike

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't know a great deal about turkeys or blackhead disease, but I believe that you should also treat for cecal worms with SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Equine Paste 1/4 ml per pound of weight for 3-5 consecutive days. Others here, such as Casportpony, have treated blackhead before, and you could PM her.

3. mjsjr

mjsjr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2014
    I did treat for cecal worms. All my turkeys got their first dose of Valbazen already. I am just not sure if the Metronidazole 5 day course is enough or if I should continue it until the yellow completely disappears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by