1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

turkey w. chickens?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by twister, Jan 24, 2010.

1. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    Just how compatable and content will a lone turkey hen be with a flock of 7 chickens? A friend has a lone turkey hen approx 5-6 mo old. He intended to make din din out of her. Now she just runs w. his dogs---fights his dogs, loose and near a busy road. We were "thinking" about making him an offer for her, so she can roam w. our chickens ( 6 hens/1 roo) . Will they be compatible? I do NOT want to make food of her. I WANT her as a deterent to our neighbors goofy labs and any other thing that thinks about coming on our place. What would be an acceptable offer? Anything else I might need to know? THANKS for any advise.

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Quote:Most Turkeys get along with Chickens fine. They will occasionally pick fights, but I have never had many problems. The only time they do damage is when they are mad. We had about 40 one time. A goose got stick in the net fence. All its flapping made the Turkeys mad. They thought it was teasing them. They tried to kill it. It healed up and was fine. Our turkeys usually only attack a chicken if it attacks them first. If you only had one Turkey and 7 Chickens they should be fine. I do not know that she would be a deterrent for dogs. What made you think that? Regarding your question about your offer, it would depend on what breed, how old she is, how bad you want her, how bad your neighbor wants her etc.

3. NancyinAlaska

NancyinAlaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Willow Alaska
    [​IMG]

Mine all get along just fine![​IMG]

4. ChickensRCool

ChickensRCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Alaska
    We have raised turkeys and chickens together and have had no problems. The rooster and the tom fought each other a bit but caused no damage.

5. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

My Bourbon hen, who has her own cozy pen and house with her mate Rosie, LOVES to jump fence and roam with the chickens. She's not going to be much of a deterrent to predators, you want deterrent get geese! LOL! Now my own personal opinion I think she would probably prefer to have a mate at some point but who knows? I know my Midget girlies follow their mate around all day long. It's like some religious cult or something, he moves and they follow very carefully a few steps behind at all times.

6. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    My Rio Grande turkey hens got along just fine with my chickens, but they got lonely during breeding season. They called all day long, trying to locate a mate or a flock to join. So we bought them a Tom, which ended up being a mistake, because he became so aggressive we couldn't even gather eggs without being attacked. And a grown Tom can do a lot of damage.

Personally, I'll never have turkeys again, unless they're broad-breasted and destined for the oven.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Mine get a long just fine. I would feel the need to get her a mate. But I'm sure she will be fine without another one of her kind. As far as an offer, I paid $11 when they (Bourbon Reds) were poults. You might be doing him a favor just by taking her.

8. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    Quote:Not all Toms are like that. If you hand raise them they will follow you around like a dog. Mine eat out of my hands. You probably just hand a mean turkey that didn't get alot of attention when he was raised.

9. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Not all Toms are like that. If you hand raise them they will follow you around like a dog. Mine eat out of my hands. You probably just hand a mean turkey that didn't get alot of attention when he was raised.

Oh yeah, my boys are friendly and come running for treats and loves. They like to act all big and bad but they see me with the bucket of oatmeal and scrambled eggs and they're like little kitties rubbing all over me and waiting for food.

10. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Nope, that Tom followed us around like a puppy until he reached breeding age, and then we had to carry sticks with us any time we left the back yard. And he HATED the riding mower. Chased me for 1/2 an hour around the pasture one day, trying to attack it. Maybe it has to do with the breed? This was a Rio Grande, which is a wild breed. I didn't have the same problem with the broad-breasted birds I raised.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by