Turkey was attacked, is wounded, not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scott1974, Mar 17, 2012.

1. scott1974

scott1974 New Egg

Feb 5, 2012
    Brookline, NH
    Hello,
    I have a turkey that was attacked by some animal, bad enough that I don't think she will recover but not bad enough that she was killed. Wondering what the most humane thing to do with the turkey would be???
    Thank you!

2. scott1974

scott1974 New Egg

Feb 5, 2012
    Brookline, NH
    More info on injury... She has a chunk of her back that was bit and is missing skin. The wound is a few inches long, few inches wide.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. deepvalleyfarm

deepvalleyfarm New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Maryland
    Just had the same thing happen. How did your turkey fair?

5. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I would rinse and wash the wound, and use antiseptic rinse.(I use peroxide or alcohol pads) If you use neosporin, I strongly recomend cream, becasue ointment can hold in germs, but not kill them all. If she doesn't not get a bad infectioin (watch for yellow/green oozing, and pus) she will very likely recover, but her feathers may not grow back there. Bandaging may be problematic, but it is in order the first 24-48 hours. You might have to put on clean gause or clean cotten t-shirt, and duck tape it closed. You really need to avoid intorducing additional germs, thats the reason to cover wounds.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by