Turkey weights? my turkeys are stunned?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Alicia G, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Well I joined the market turkey project in 4-H this year. Bought 10 utility whites (at least thats what I'm calling them anyway). They were all doing great, eating lots, and growing right in front of my eyes it seemed [​IMG] . Well I have a lovely family of fox (can you here the sarcasm?) and they took all but 2 of my turkeys, along with 8 or so of my other animals. Now the two I have left are doing well, eating lots, and very active. But they have seemed to slowed down in growth considerably since the fox attacked. Now these where hatched around the beginning of May, and they only weigh about 5 pounds. Now this is my first experience with turkeys, but would have thought they should weigh more then this. I feed them turkey grower, flax, corn, and fresh vegetables twice a day, and they have free run in a 15 by 30 outdoor pen.
    I will be taking one of these gals to market in October, do you think they'll be a good weight by then? I was kinda looking to have them weigh around 20-25 pounds (that seems to be the average weight at market). Is there anything I can do to get them growing again? I am trying to stay away from medication and I want them to be able to get out and have fresh air on a daily basis.
    All advice is greatly appreciated!

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    What is the protein level of your feed? If I remember right, our feed was 24%. I would stay away from the corn right now. It will add more fat right now than needed. They should also have feen 24/7. When my girls raised the white turkeys for 4-H, in 5 months theirs weighed 45-50 lbs. Good luck. [​IMG]

Edited to say; Ours were all tom turkeys, so if you have hens, they will be smaller.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  3. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Well If I remember correctly the turkey grower is 24%. These turkeys are hens, its the rules (for here anyways) that any turkey shown in the market turkey project is a hen and hatched around the same time from the same hatchery. I was feeding them corn cause I noticed on just plain turkey grower they got REALLY skinny and when I added the corn they put the weight back on very quickly. Plus at the moment these gals are all muscle it seems, but maybe thats because there outside all day? I was told that these gals should weigh between 20 and 25 pounds at market (October)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by