Turkey with a head cold

Amie DePrimio

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2017
Hello. I’m new to this forum and to Chicken/Turkey raising. I adopted a turkey a few months back, she has had head congestion for a little over a month. I have been treating her with VetRx and it helps but she’s not getting better. She is now starting to develop a cough and I don’t have a local vet to take her to. I have already posted this question in the general forum before I noticed the turkey forum. I have no idea what to do next but I just Love this super friendly bird and I don’t want to lose her. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your bird is having trouble. :(

They don't get head colds, so it's probably more serious than you realize.

Vet rx is essentially vicks vapor rub, snake oil that that won't TREAT anything! Just give you the menthol smell is all.

Here is symptom checker tool...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/symptoms

It will give you all the possibilities that could cause the symptom you put in and you have to narrow it down from there.

So couple of questions for diagnostic purpose... How old is the bird? How many other birds and what type in how much space? What do you feed including treats and supplement?

Hang in there sometimes these thing go by fast and make it hard for people to see and reply. Sometimes people will "bump" their thread by simply posting "bump"

I have no turkey experience, but will help to the best of my ability. :fl

Thank you for getting back to me. I believe she is about a year old. She refused to come inside at night for 3 Days late this fall and she was out in the rain. This started about a week later. Her nostrils are clogged up. I have also been warming water and wetting a q-tip to help clear her sinuses as best as I can. She is with a flock of 13 chickens and another turkey. They are in a coop at night and fully free range during the day. Luckily none of the rest of the flock are showing signs of getting sick. She has also started laying an egg every other day which I thought was strange this time of year. They eat Nutrina layer crumbles free choice and whatever fruit, veggie and bread scraps I have. They also get cracked corn as a treat periodically. She’s the friendliest bird, she lays down for me to pet her and follows me all over my farm when she sees me.

She sounds lovely!

One thing I do remember reading was that housing turkey and chicken together can cause issues like black head for the turkey. Though that doesn't sound like what you are describing, you might research some of those common problem of mutual housing.

I just went to the link I gave you to look at symptom possibilities... I apologize, I didn't realize that it doesn't include turkeys. :hmm That stinks, because it should!

Yeah, I noticed that. I just looked under Chicken. Nothing it came up that seemed like what she has. I might have to travel a pretty far distance to find a vet to help her. My husband won’t be happy by the bill, I assume. She doesn’t have a swollen face like you might expect from a sinus infection. I’ve heard of issues for turkeys housed with chickens but since everyone is free ranged, I have no idea how to separate them. The other turkey doesn’t seem to have any issues and they have all been together since mid-October. I’m so frustrated and worried for her.

You said she developed a cough, if you put your ear to her chest does it make a raspy, or other noise when she breathes? Is it more like rattly cough, or is it more of the wheezy type.
Your turkey sounds like it might have, what 2 of my turkeys had earlier this year.

The “cough” sounds kind of like a “quack” I have not tried putting my ear to her chest but I can do that this evening when I get home. I can see the dried stuff in her nostrils that’s causing the issue. It sounds like she needs to blow her nose and all would be well. I wish I had a way to clear her sinuses for her. She’s eating and drinking and acting fine otherwise.

The other turkey doesn’t seem to have any issues and they have all been together since mid-October.
Just like people, different birds may have different levels of immunity or strength of their immune system. Some will fight things off much easier and never succumb while other may be weakened and pass very quickly.

Bills are difficult. Many of us will not be able to seek vet help even it is close by. That's why it's great to have this forum. It has been so helpful. But I hope you will get more solid advice than mine!

I know haw frustrating and stressful having a sick or injured animal can be. Hang in there, you're not alone! :hugs

The “cough” sounds kind of like a “quack” I have not tried putting my ear to her chest but I can do that this evening when I get home. I can see the dried stuff in her nostrils that’s causing the issue. It sounds like she needs to blow her nose and all would be well. I wish I had a way to clear her sinuses for her. She’s eating and drinking and acting fine otherwise.

This doesn't sound like what my girls had, but I will keep my eye out for helpful info. By this afternoon, most likely someone will be able to tell you how to help your turkey.
Very sorry that she got sick, she sounds like a great bird. :(

Back
Top Bottom