1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey with a injured leg (hip)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jaswolfe01, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Jaswolfe01

Jaswolfe01 New Egg

Aug 26, 2015
    I have a young turkey about 16 weeks old that got into my pen of adult turkeys. My adult male kicked him hard hurting its leg. I dont feel anything broke on the leg itself. However i believe in his "hip" area is where he is hurt. Could be disslocated or broken. Can feel it grinding when i move it. He doesnt put hardly any weight on it. Its been several days and it doesnt seem to be getting any better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sprains or broken legs are common. Tendon injuries can be bad in the hock joint. The higher up the injury, the worse it is to heal. You can try splinting, but I would confine him to a pen with food and water, and use some poultry vitamins. Also try posting on the turkey forum here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/20/turkeys

3. Jaswolfe01

Jaswolfe01 New Egg

Aug 26, 2015
    The turkey in question has made a total recovery. I just let him out with all my other birds. He would walk( hobble) as best he could. Ate and drank like normal and over I'd say 4 to 6 weeks made a full recovery. It's amazing at times how animals can heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by