Turkey with Broken leg Need ADVICE!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CluckAcres, Jan 23, 2013.

1. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    Ok need some advice. I just got home from work and my wife informed me that our Tom turkey got hit today by a tanker truck. He is alive and seems fine but he broke his leg. Im thinking its broke at the hip tho because when i looked at it , it just felt loose like he couldnt move it at all around the hip. What should I do? If he survives and it dont heal then i will have a one legged turkey. He was going to be our breeding tom. Our hen turkey is all upset now and wont quite crying out for him. I put him in a closed up pen in the barn with plenty of hay for him to keep warm. If he looses his leg I think he would have maybe a suffering life because I dont think he will be able to fly around and land right and as far as mating dont think he would he would be able to do that. So i guess what im really asking is Do I just see what happens and maybe he will be fine with one leg as a pet OR do I put him out of his pain and his suffering long term?

2. Mygirls20

Mygirls20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    ouch so sorry. I dont have any advice maybe someone else can help you out but just wanted to let you know that I will say a little prayer for your poor turkey tonight. Good luck [​IMG]

3. CluckAcres

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    Thank You.

4. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Is there a vet near by?

5. JPoe

JPoe Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    Colorado
    Is he able to move around on his own? I have a chicken that I think may have broken or severely injured her hip as well but it has been a month and she gets around pretty well on the one leg. I know your turkey is much larger and may have a harder time moving but it might be worth waiting to see how he does. I hope he feels better! Good luck!

6. CluckAcres

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    Yes he can hop around on one leg but is unbalanced. If he lives through it im sure he will learn how to balance himself. He is only i think 8 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by