Turkey with Egg Mass around Neck.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reesepoultry, Sep 28, 2010.

1. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    I have a turkey hen with what I thought was a Mite egg mass around her neck. I can't seem to find any mites on her. None of the other turkeys have this. She free ranges 24/7.

I have treated her with 7 dust and mite spray. But it doesn't seem to be working. she is holding her head to one side. I am thinking maybe she has some in her ears also.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am at a loss at what kind of mite it could be and how to treat it. I have had her on vitamins and Medicine. I just dusted her again.

I do not know how to get the egg mass off of her.

Thanks for any help [​IMG]

2. reesepoultry

Jul 4, 2009
    anyone....[​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Pictures may help someone ID, and if they are like other feather mites, you may have to wait till the feather moults out.

4. reesepoultry

Jul 4, 2009
    It is a white egg mass around the bass of the feathers. not the ends or in the middle. Not sure if that helps. I will try to get pictures.

Just wondering if there is anything else I could do.

I also just started putting apple cider vineger in there drinking water tonight.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe Ivermectin pour on? thats what I use on my chickens and ducks.

6. reesepoultry

Jul 4, 2009
    I have Electrolytes. Should I give her some of that. She seems a little weak. She is molting right now.

It almost seems like they are in her ears. She holds her head to the left.

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The ivermectin would help, if they are mites, even though it is a topical application, it is absorbed systemically. Even if you kill the egg, it is cemented in place and mostly will not come off until she loses the feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by