Turkey with Leg Issues- Pics and Video-Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CityChick15, Aug 2, 2011.

1. CityChick15

CityChick15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    One of my chocolate hens (I think) has a leg that is almost turned out 90 degrees, she wobbles along and it eating and drinking normally but it looks really uncomfortable. The issues is with the upper joint the femur/thigh so splinting has not worked. I administer "physical therapy" on a daily basis which is just joint massage and she doesn't seem to mind and maybe its helping I'm just not sure. Are leg issues common for turkeys? Are there vitamins I should be administering?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. CityChick15

Mar 30, 2011
    My first youtube upload, can everyone view the video?
    Sorry for the poor quality, I used my Iphone

3. CityChick15

Mar 30, 2011
    Could it be gout??

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I don't know what causes this but I just had to put down a BR poult that was almost four months old last week. It had a similar problem as yours. It started out about the same as your bird and progressively got worse. There were no broken bones but I think it did something to the ligaments at the top of the leg jumping down from a coop roof. I waited to see if s/he would get better but it only got worse. Once the poor thing was getting nothing but picked on, I decided to cull him/her. I don't know if I could have done anything more even if I had separated the bird. I hope your bird gets better. [​IMG]

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

as an fyi.... a deficiency in niacin or choline / manganese will cause bad hocks or perosis in turkey poults

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:The problem with my poult was not an enlarged hock. I had been feeding the poult high protien game bird starter/grower since it hatched and it was not a BBB or other heavy breed. The problem seemed to be near the hip area. I am pretty sure it was an injury to that joint that caused my problem. Not sure about the OP's bird though.

7. CityChick15

Mar 30, 2011
    I have been feeding my turkey a high protein game bird feed, I intended to purchase a layer feed, but picked up the wrong bag. Could too much protein be the issue? My other turkey who is the same age does not have any problems, I need to do something because the injured turkey is getting worse!
    Poor baby!

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I don't think it is too much protien causing the problem. I do not have a lot of experience with turkeys (just hatched out my first six this year) but from what I have read on here, they are supposed to be on the higher protien food. Maybe you could PM Lotsapaints? She is the one I got my eggs from. I am pretty sure that mine was caused by an injury not a sickness or the type of food I feed. Mine just kept getting worse too. [​IMG]
    ETA - the other five poults that I have are all doing fine. They have all been fed the same way as the one who had the leg problem.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  9. CityChick15

Mar 30, 2011
    Any more thoughts? Should I isolate her in an inside cage so she doesn't walk on the leg, do you think that would help it heal??

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Has she been this way since she hatched, if you can catch problems like this early they can usually be fixed, Not sure anything can be done now. heres a link to leg and feet problems though, maybe you can still do something. [​IMG] https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by