Turkey with Muscovy

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by leonie, May 18, 2009.

1. leonie

leonie New Egg

May 18, 2009
    It's my first time incubating and I set some turkey eggs with muscovy eggs. Now I'm wondering whether it was a bad idea. I candled a turkey egg last night and I can see the veins so I think it's developing okay. However, I read that muscovy eggs take a week longer to hatch.

I have an automatic turner and it turns them hourly, however, how am I going to stop the turner and leave the turkey eggs undisturbed ready for them to hatch, but also keep turning the muscovy eggs?

A little help, please! [​IMG]

2. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    My solution to the problem would be to hurry out and buy another incubator, but maybe that's because I wanted one anyway. Eggs can hatch in the turner, but not a good idea. The duck eggs could survive a day or two without being turned but muscovies are supposed to be difficult at best. I'd suggest you turn off the turner after the first turkey pips, and then hope for a quick hatch so you can get it going again. Probably not the best advice, but it 's all I can think of since you are already in the predicament. That's how we learn.

Jim

3. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    When it's time for hatching, you can take out a few sections of trays in the turner and put the turkey eggs on the floor of the incubator and leave the muscovies turning. The turner moves so slow that if you keep an eye on the turkey hatch you could get them out of there without them getting hurt.

4. sojeo

sojeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Scotsburn
    Could you put the turkey eggs in a plastic bin, the ones with the holes that you can get at the dollar store? I'm sure that you can get ones high enough that they can't escape, I actually think I have some in my cupboard that would work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by